Wonder if an email you got is a fraud or scam?
Correctly report suspicious email to help yourself and your colleagues.
Report email when you:
- Get a fraudulent email, like a phishing attack
- Fell victim to a scam
Report it well:
If you found the email in your "Junk E-Mail" folder and did not click a link--delete it because we already recognize the threat.
- Select or open the suspicious email.
- Forward the suspicious email as an attachment:
- Web: From the "Reply All" menu, select "Forward"
- Windows: Ctrl+Alt+F
- Mac: Control+Command+J
- Phone or tablet: Use one of the above options, like webmail
- Address to Infosecurity: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note what you did. For example:
- Clicked link in email
- Entered login information at clicked-link web site
- Changed your password because you realized you did all the above
You report it and report it well because:
- Reporting to IT Security helps us assess and address email threats across the whole System.
- Forwarding suspect email as an attachment gives the security team a lot more information, which you do not normally see, to enable fast analysis and an accurate and measured response.
- Noting whether or not you fell victim enables IT Security to help you do things to remediate the problem and/or limit further risk.